My First Unplanned Offsite Skydiving Landing

My First Unplanned Offsite Skydiving Landing

2024-07-18, I jump at Dropzone Thailand to keep my license currency.

• Red arrow: The final direction
  • Yellow arrow: The windsock direction

After pulling my main, I was across the runway, so I tried flying to the other side of the runway. While doing that, I do some housekeeping (tying the slider, leg, chest straps).

Within that short span, I fly past the runway and reach the road, so I try to fly back. At this point, I have about 2000 feet.

Initially, I tried to get to the start of the downwind (800 feet), but I noticed that I was not flying fast enough, so I decided to aim for the base (400 feet) instead. About 1500 feet left.

At about 800 feet, I realized I couldn’t reach base, so I half-brake, but I checked my position and realized I was not moving, so I let go of half-brake.

At about 200 feet, I have 2 options. First, try to continue flying to base, but there is a good chance I might hit the trees instead. Second, do offsite landing.

I chose the 2nd option, made a slight turn in my final at about 100 feet, and landed safely, but I was wet because the tall grass was not dry, due to the monsoon rain.

After my jump, the DZ set a 300 jumps limit. So I left DZT for another dropzone.